Summer is almost here.
The summer heat needs a refreshing and cooling element for those of us who cannot bear drinking anything warm or hot.
Tisanes are excellent remedies for the heat and added flavor that has health benefits.
This is an excellent tisanes, it cools, mildly detoxifies, aids in digestion, refreshes and enlivens.
This tisanes has so much flavor from the herbs used that it does not require a sweetener however if desired a little rock sugar is an excellent healthy addition.
A squeeze of lemon or lime will also add a very welcome flavor.
- 150 grams lemongrass - pounded to release the flavor
- 5 Screwpine leaves - tied in a knot
- 5 slices ginger - lightly bruised
- 1.8 litres water
- 40 grams rock sugar or honey rock sugar to taste
- In a non metalic pot, add the ingredients except rock sugar.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
- Add rock sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Discard lemongrass stalks, ginger and screwpine leaves.
- Drink warm or chilled